Registration close: 1st September
Each year Appita holds a New Speaker Competition. The purpose of the Appita New Speaker Contest is to provide an opportunity for first-time presenters to develop their presentation skills and present in front of a large audience as part of their ongoing career development.
In the lead-up to the competition, preliminary finals are held in New Zealand and Australia. Winners from the Australian and New Zealand preliminary finals will advance to the ANZ finals which will be hosted by the Appita Young Professionals as a virtual event.
- Hold a current Appita membership (non-members are invited to join to become eligible)
- Must be a first-time presenter - individual who has never presented at a conference or will be presenting for the first time outside of their organisation/place of work/tertiary institution
- Powerpoint presentation
- 20 minutes + 10 minutes Q&A
Judges evaluate each contestant individually based on the total presentation. At the end of the runoff, contestants are ranked in order of the quality of the presentations: Best is first, second best is second, and so on. All contestants are ranked. There can be no ties. For more details CLICK HERE.
The winners of the Australian and New Zealand runoff competitions will receive a plaque and complimentary registration to attend the Appita Annual Conference. Runner-up will receive a cash prize.
The winner of the New Speaker Finals will receive a professional development grant valued at $2,000. The grant must be used for a career development activity. This could include overseas travel, attending a training course, conference or for mill visits and visits to research institutions, etc. It could also be used as an add-on to work-related travel, however, must be used within the next 12 months.
The first two entrants of the new speaker runoff competition receive complimentary registration to the Proteus 1/2 Day Presenting with Confidence Course – OCT 16, 2023.
Registration closes on 1st September.
How to enter the competition?
Entering the Appita 2023 New Speaker Competition as a first-time presenter is both exciting and straightforward.
- Complete the submission form, providing a concise overview of your topic and explaining why it's relevant to the industry. We encourage you to highlight the unique perspective you bring as a first-time presenter.
- Craft a compelling 300-600 word abstract that captures the essence of your proposed presentation, showcasing the value and impact of your ideas.
- Speaker’s bio (max 150 words) and current image (300 dpi jpeg) must accompany the submission.
- Share any relevant academic achievements, research projects, or industry experiences that demonstrate your passion for the pulp, paper, packaging, or bioproducts sector.
- Submit your application before the deadline of 1st August 2023.
2023 New Speakers’ Competition Runoff New Zealand - APPLY NOW
26th October 2023, Copthorne Hotel, Starts 6:00 pm
2023 New Speakers’ Competition Runoff Australia - APPLY NOW
25th October 2022, BioPRIA, Monash University 11:00 am - AEST.
2023 New Speakers’ Competition Finals - Australia vs New Zealand!
24 November 2023, Appita Annual Conference, Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre.
Interested in Sponsoring?
Companies are invited to support our young industry professionals by sponsoring the event.
For sponsorship inquiries please contact: