Judges evaluate each contestant individually based on the total presentation. At the end of the competition, contestants are ranked in order of the quality of the presentations: All contestants are ranked. There can be no ties.
Speakers are evaluated against the following important criteria:
ANALYSIS AND CONTENT (20 POINTS)
Content (10 points)
• Original, technically sound and logical; recommendations were relevant, and message was clear.
• Was the information adequately documented?
• Relevance to industry: potential benefits
Analysis (10 points)
• Was there sufficient use of logic, facts, examples, and/or expert opinion?
STRUCTURE (30 POINTS)
Introduction (10 points)
• Did the speaker get attention?
• Was the topic clearly stated?
• Did the speaker preview and give focus to the key ideas?
Body (10 points)
• Were divisions clear and appropriate to the topic?
• Did the speaker make effective use of signposting, internal summaries, and transitions?
• Was adequate time devoted to each division within the 20-minute time limit?
• Was there a logical progression of ideas?
Conclusion (10 points)
• Did the speaker tie the speech together?
• Was the answer to the question clear?
• Was there a note of finality?
• Overall was the talk planned, rehearsed and well-timed. The presentation must not go over time.
DELIVERY (30 POINTS)
Language Style (10 points)
• Was the language suitable to inform the audience?
• Was the language precise, grammatically correct, and vivid?
• Was the delivery natural and spontaneous?
• Did it reinforce the ideas of the speech?
Vocal Delivery (10 points)
• Was enunciation clear?
• Was volume appropriate?
• Was there sufficient variety in rate, pause, and pitch?
Physical Delivery (10 points)
• Effective use of body language: especially eye contact, gestures and voice.
• Created a positive atmosphere: a friendly attitude towards the audience and a sincere approach.
• If note card was used, was it an unobtrusive part of the delivery?
QUESTIONS FROM AUDIENCE (10 POINTS)
• Did the speaker answer questions clearly and show they understood the topic well?